-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Monday, June 3, 2013

Aliens or Royalty?

I did an internet search and found that according to some in the ancient alien theory community, the royal families of the earth are in some way related to reptilian aliens.  Really, I couldn't make this stuff up.  For more on that look here.  You can also search for yourself and find all sorts of interesting  ideas about the subject.

Earlier in the season,  I had some alien-looking creatures in my garden.  They look like something from science fiction emerging from the ground. 
 
 
 
 
 

Just look at those ominous looking teeth, legs or flesh eating appendages.  What do you suppose they'll be?


Yikes, look at them breaking free from their furry, web-like enclosure!

Are you frightened?  Maybe we should try and make friends with them as they obviously have world domination on their minds!

Is that an eye?  Some sort of oozing poison?  It might be best to run away while there's still time.   But where can you go?

They'll surely be hungry for WHATEVER it is they eat as soon as they pop out of these things. 

Here they come, don't get too close, you wouldn't want to be baby's first meal would you?

Looks hungry to me!
 

Turns out that it was  Osmunda regalis, also known as Royal Fern.

Looks kind of harmless, doesn't it?


Don't let it fool you!  Here, the Royal Fern is reigning over the garden and threatening to eat the garage. 

And what are those strange plumes crowning this huge (It's now over 6' tall)  plant?  Some sort of signaling device for the mother ship?

I don't know about you but I have a hard time trusting something that can grow from nothing into a monster in just a few weeks.   It can only be some sort of alien royalty.
 
We must be ever vigilant regarding these aliens among us.  If you doubt me, read this article  from the Telegraph.  Lord Martin Reece,  astronomer to the Queen is quoted as saying that the existence of  extraterrestrial life may be beyond human understanding and that E.T.'s may be living among us but we just don't recognize them.   Or DO we?    Happy gardening all!
 



19 comments:

  1. Triffid alert! The unfurling frond did look very alien like close up. Where's Ripley when you need her??

    Whew, thankfully it's not!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha, that was funny :). I bet they really are among us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun observations, they do look a bit scary up close. That's one huge fern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is big & takes up a lot of room but it's kind of cool and if I dug it up, the wrath of the mother ship might be poured out on the planet.

      Delete
  4. What a fun post! I have ostrich fern, which gets big and tends to run, but not royal fern. I love those furry fronds unfurling.

    "Feed me, Seymour!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were fun to watch unfurl. I first saw this plant in a tall thin pot at DIG. The sight of the newly emerging fronds at nearly eye level made me fall in love with the plant then and there!

      Delete
  5. Funny enough I was going to say triffid alert too ! haha
    This was a cute post and I have always been fascinated with how ferns unfurl. I don't have this one and it sounds like that is a good idea .. no room left at the inn for monsters like that .. let alone alien royalty that might make demands on me to scrape and bow every time I pass them ? LOL
    Joy ;-)
    PS .. THEY are AMONG us !!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked the post! This is an interesting group of plants (or aliens) to watch unfurl(and take over the planet.)

      Delete
  6. LOL! Too funny, you have a vivid imagination. Those emerging and newly unfurling fronds are pretty strange looking. The webbing looks like some kind of caterpillar nest... interesting and beautiful plant

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll see who is laughing when the ferns conquer the world:) Many plants look bizarre emerging from the ground. They're amazing creatures these plants we love!

      Delete
  7. There are times when the thought that certain people are descended from space reptiles seems more or less plausible. At least, it's as good an explanation as any other for some of the things that go on in this world. I like your Royal Fern, it's very distinctive for a fern. The giant fern in my garden is Ostrich Fern, but the fiddleheads don't look nearly as threatening. Actually, some people eat them, rather than the other way around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a restaurant in Seattle called The Fiddlehead. There was one in Juneau, AK too. I assumed that they served people fiddleheads. Now I'm not so sure. Royal fern is a fun one but Ostrich Fern is much more refined and ferny looking.

      Delete
  8. dear og, great post - You've opened my eyes and from now on I'll make sure to be alert in the presence of ferns from now - I love the photos too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It pays to be alert. You never know what might be emerging from the earth! Glad you liked the pictures!

      Delete
  9. I'm embarrassed to say how riveted I was by this. "I think it's a fern but what if he doesn't tell me?!?" Super cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just keep telling yourself, it's just a fern, it's just a fern. Glad you enjoyed it!

      Delete
  10. Whatever you do, do NOT let James Cameron visit your garden.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.