-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Friday, June 28, 2013

Char's Garden: A quick walk by.

Char's garden is  one that I pass by several times a week but seldom have time to stop.  Last September, I walked by with my camera and was glad that I did.  You can read that post here.  Following are a few shots taken  from the sidewalk  during a recent walk in the hood. This garden is full of color throughout the season!



I don't often think of combining pink and red for some reason.  It is sure gorgeous here and the lavender hosta blooms keeps the color family well rounded while the yellow livens things up.

Peonies have just finished and we see a dahlia growing to cover its wood supports.  These were beautiful in bloom last year! 

The use of potted plants allows for rearranging if the desire strikes.

 

This beauty simply glows!  

I wonder how deep the buried pot is.  do you suppose it's got a liner in it to retain water for the Iris  ensata?  The look of the ornamental rim just above soil level is attractive.

Yum!

Looking down the walk, you can see tetrapanax in the garden of a neighbor.   Better check that out!

18 comments:

  1. I'm going to check out the previous post you did on Char's garden. I sure like what I see here :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a very nice garden in a fairly small space most of which can be seen from the sidewalk. Char demonstrates how many interesting plants can be grown well even without a huge space!

      Delete
  2. Pretty plant compositions and colours here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always happily surprised by the many wonderful ways people use plants!

      Delete
  3. I love that partially buried pot with the ornamental rim, that's a brilliant idea that I'm definitely going to steal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We only steal from the best, right? Immitation, after all, is the highest form of flattery!

      Delete
  4. Interesting Char's garden!
    I love the stony path on photo 5. The roses are pretty. Thank you, Peter for sharing!
    Have a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed the tour of Char's garden! Have a wonderful weekend.

      Delete
  5. Hardscaping really seems to set off plants, but the rocks are so heavy, that must be a lot of hard work to install. What a nice stroll-by!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those do look like heavy rocks. Some of the places that sell rocks like that will also install them for you. Being too cheap for that myself (cuts down on money that could be spent on plants!) I usually use bricks which I find free and can schlep around myself.

      Delete
  6. It's gardens like this one that make a stroll through the neighborhood such a joy. Your hood seems to have more than most.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, gardens like this one do enhance a nice stroll! It's an urban hood with lots of opportunities for growing stuff in small spaces and it's all in where you point your camera.

      Delete
  7. I'm with Alison, I'm going to seal that idea with the pot rim. Luv it! You do seem to have quite a few fantastic gardens in your neighborhood! Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great idea to steal especially if you can get a pot that is cheap because of some sort of damage beneath! I'm thinking that plugging the drainage hole(s) with a flat rock and silicone & maybe painting the inside black, turquoise, deep blue or some such color & filling with water would make an interesting water feature!

      Delete
  8. Stunning roses. Their color is extraordinary! Such a beautiful and colorful garden. Happy Sunday, Peter!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yep. I'm pretty much all over this yard! I like the grass path, dry creek with the rusty fish....and given the choice, I'd live as close to water's edge as would be safe and sensible :)

    Thanks for another excellent garden tour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'm leaning toward living close to the water. We have beautiful salt water bays all over this area. Not as windy and harsh on plants as living right on the coast but still with tides and interesting life. We're having so much fun on these tours and it's fun to share our adventures.

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.