-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Monday, June 17, 2013

Foliage Follow Up, Random As Usual.

Here is some of the foliage that I noticed  recently.
 
Agave ovatifolia 'Frosty Blue'  got babied inside during the winter;  now we'll see if it can make it in the ground.

The red table is sort of like a green room for plants waiting to find a place.  Some may spend the summer here but will need to find more attractive pots.

The Agave weberi that decided to live, the saga of which can be found here with Pelargonum 'Indian Princess.'

 
Love variegated grasses!

Melianthus major  'Antonow's Blue'

The plant that always reminds me of our host Pam Penick because it's one of her favorites and is featured in her foliage follow-up post this month.  Do click on over to her site  to join in the foliage festival!

Berberis 'Orange Rocket'  I'm still in love!


Choisya 'Sundance'  holds this warm gold color all year long.  The bud is that of a purple/blue clematis that  will be blooming soon.

Fatsia polycarpa 'Needham Lace'  that came from the Cistus area at  the Fabulous Fronderosa Frolic a couple of years ago.  Such a fun road trip and event!  I hope that you denizens of the pacific northwest make plans to attend this year!

Recently found Callicarpa japonica 'Snow Storm'  If it bears fruit as heavily as it's non variegated relative in my parking strip, there may be an exchange.


Corydalis scouleri

Podophyllum  pleianthum

Variegated Gingko



Tradescantia pallida 'Pink Stripe'  Just about ready to go in a candy apple red pot when I noticed that  the one from last  year, left outside, is coming back from it's roots.  Cool.

Arisaema losttagimum
 
Happy gardening all!


28 comments:

  1. Nice randomness though, especially the Fatsia, Agave, and the Ginkgo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I sometimes try to stick with a theme for foliage follow-up but then I spy something(s) that don't fit and that look cool. Oh well.

      Delete
  2. I've never heard of This frolic, I think I look into this , thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been called the horticultural equivalent of Woodstock! Beautiful setting in the woods by a river. Lots to do! Great spots to have a picnic lunch. Many interesting roadside attractions along the way.

      Delete
  3. I like Fatsia polycarpa 'Needham Lace' a lot. The variegated Ginkgo is awesome too, and Arisaema losttagium; I may be able to purchase that one by the internet :). Thanks for the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great foliage shots, but I especially love that Pelargonium 'Indian Princess.' I've never been much of a Pelargonium fan, but that one could convert me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The leaves are really gorgeous! I sometimes cut the flowers off just to enjoy the red of the foliage.

      Delete
  5. That red table collection is worthy of an entire foliage follow up post just on its own. Then you go and add in a couple of agaves, a variegated ginkgo and more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the red table & sometimes sit there so the plants there get extra admiration.

      Delete
  6. Love the "green room" where plants nervously await taking the stage, Late Night with the OG. What extraordinarily beautiful plants, every one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're ready for their close up, Mr. Demille. There sure are some cool plants out there in the world!

      Delete
  7. Your foliage has me all aflutter...especially the 'Needham Lace".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that a grand plant? Cistus is the only place that I've seen them available in these parts.

      Delete
  8. The agave and pelargonum together are fantastic! What a beautiful pair. And I've never seen a variegated ginko! Very interesting. Great foliage!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked the agave and pelargonum combo as I was considering changing it. The variegated gingko is very hard to find & this one has an interesting story that I'll have to post sometime.

      Delete
  9. Love the Corydallis and Podophyllum. Does P.pleianthum flower and fruit like our native mayapple?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P. pleianthum blooms and fruits but the flowers are dark red to maroon in color and hang down in bunches beneath the leaves. Native Mayapple has only one white flower that comes from the leaf axil. The fruit of both is edible.

      Delete
  10. Loving the agave/geranium combination. Great shots!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phillip! I've been experimenting with combining other plants with succulents. I love mixed succulent pots but after visiting Sally at WeHop last year and seeing her many combinations of succulents and non succulents, I was inspired to try some myself.

      Delete
  11. Your succulents and Agave are great, I especially enjoy them since I have trouble growing them. I killed a poor little purple Aeonium last year, coveted after seeing all the big ones in San Diego.

    I'm very impressed with the variegated Gingko.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those beautiful Californian succulents make everyone drool! The most difficult thing about growing these things for me is not watering them. My potted plants have conditioned me to water them frequently when it's warm outside. These guys really seem happy being left alone.

      Delete
  12. If you come home one day and find that variegated Ginkgo missing, I didn't do it, honest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My garden is so messy right now that you'd be lucky to find it but it's nice to know that if it did go missing, I could cross you off the list of suspects. Hmmmm.

      Delete
  13. I swear your foliage picks are more colorful than any flower garden. I love the agave combos you show near the top of the post. And like Les, I'm smitten with your variegated ginkgo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love foliage! Flowers are nice and all but we are very lucky to have such a huge palette of beautifully colored foliage that is hardy and even evergreen here.

      Delete
  14. I'm drooling over that variegated gingko--I didn't know such a thing existed! And I'm also chuckling over your red table "green room" comment. My dark blue table (formerly referred to as the "temporary table") is now going to be the "green room table" in my head. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After a lot of plant shopping, I have many of these temporary areas. A friend of mine used to call one of the areas the tarmac because just like at an airport, there is always something coming and going.

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.