-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Hey Look, Something's Going On There; Vashon Farmers' Market

So, Alison and I drove through town  on our tour of gardens, saw the Vashon Farmers' Market and decided to stop and check it out.   I'm easily distracted by anything that looks like it might be fun and fortunately, Alison puts up with me.  We parked across the way and walked to the market.   I've always loved this Boston Ivy covered building!

Attractive mural!

There was live music, and lots of beautiful island-grown produce, fabulous baked goods, hand made local beer, and much more.  Did I think to take pictures of any of that?  No.  I was very excited to find this Purple Orach plant after having just seen it at Jonathan's North Shore Garden a few minutes before.

 

Alison and I spent a long time looking at Lisa Betz Originals  because we found both her personality and her work delightful. 


Be sure to check out    Lisa's  website here where you can even order her work online!



So many fun choices! 

Ask Alison about her purchases of Lisa's work!  


Is this salmon beautiful or what?  When I see wonderful mosaic work like this I get the urge to do more myself.  It usually passes when I remember how messy and tedious  grouting is.
 
 
 Mirror, mirror on the wall...


While we had a great time at the market, I took few pictures as I was busy enjoying the event.  You'll need to make a point of stopping by next time you're on the island on a Saturday to see how cool it is.

Fresh, locally grown strawberries that aren't the size of your head and really taste like strawberries are one of my favorite things in the world!  Guess what we ate for a couple of  days? 

 

I apologize for not doing a better job of showing all the wonders at the market but it sure was a delight!   We were thrilled to see this rare Vashon Island Bear/Sheep hybrid.  An extremely mellow and happy fellow, he bid us farewell as we left the farmers' market!

I'm sure glad that we stopped.  Isn't it grand the things we sometimes bump into when we're on our way to something else?  Tomorrow we're on to Kathy's Corner Nursery!

17 comments:

  1. It's so true that we have to step out to discover new things. I didn't realize the artwork was mosaic until your close up photo, it is pretty impressive. On a funny note, your photo of the strawberries looks like a mosaic too, albeit a delicious one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your eye is amazing! I hadn't even thought of the strawberry picture looking like a mosaic but you're right, it does!

      Delete
  2. The farmer's market was such fun! I don't even remember seeing the larger mosaics, the fish and the mirror, I was so intent on choosing from her smaller ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We always find fun places or maybe we just have fun wherever we find ourselves.

      Delete
  3. Looks like a wonderful place. Love the mirror and salmon mosaics. So beautiful. So did you buy a piece for your garden?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was great! I didn't buy anything because things are walking away from my garden by themselves again. Grrr!

      Delete
  4. I wouldn't mind having some of those mosaics myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When you visit, Alison and I would be delighted to take you to Vashon Island with us!

      Delete
  5. Farmers markets are one of my favorite things. I don't know about that bear/dog hybrid, though. Looks dangerous to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was such a character! I've no idea what breed of dog he was but he was very sweet!

      Delete
  6. When we visited DIG Nursery the farmers market was in full swing. We stopped for lunch at the Hardware Store (a restaurant, called something like that) grabbed a window seat and I looked out at someone selling the fattest pea pods ever. I wanted to run right out and buy them that very moment. But I waited figuring I'd do so after we were done with our meal. THEN I FORGOT...only to be reminded now. So so so sad...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I saw some fabulous pea pods too that looked very good but got carried away by the strawberries and forgot too! Very sad for you! We also ate at the Old Hardware Store after the tour was over. Isn't Vashon fun?

      Delete
  7. That beep (shear?) is SO CUTE. You two have the most fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd have taken him home in an instant if he didn't look so happy to be where he was! Such an unusual looking pup!

      Delete
  8. Serendipity is the spice of life, no?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Peter, nice write up. I'm involved in the Vashon Farmers Market, and from the gang of growers and crafters, thank you for visiting and sharing some of what we're all about. cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi!
    That was a fun unexpected surprise to see my mosaics featured on your blog, thank you!! I have been having so much fun doing the market this year. Thanks for being so adventurous and visiting :) Here's to a happy sunny weekend! I have a Vashon High graduate so won't be at the market tomorrow, I'll miss it.

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.