-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Monday, June 10, 2013

Random Picture Monday

I got to spend a little time in my own garden on Sunday.  Here is a collection of random pictures  that made me happy to be outside!

 
This was Begonia 'San Miguel' when I first brought it home.  It's already grown quite a bit.  You'll have to take my word for it as I didn't take a current picture.  Love this hirsute bear of a begonia!
 
 
Eryngium x zabelii 'Big Blue' and Ranunculus constantinopolitanus 'Plenus'   waiting to be planted.


This is actually already in a pot and is one of  the Christmas cactus cuttings that Sally Priest from WeHop gave to Alison and Me when we visited her.
 

 Clivia miniata.  Never grown these before and am excited to try.  One has variegated foliage.  House plant during the winter.  Will I kill them?
 
 Grevillia 'Ned Kelly' is now full of buds.  Yowza!  I can't wait to see the beautiful blooms in my garden!

Grevillia rivularis has cool foliage!

Got this Geranium pamatum at Far Reaches recently and was excited to have it again.  They used to seed themselves in my sunny parking strip until the tetrapanax foest took over.  Funny thing, I was in the parking strip weeding the other day and what should I see but one of these in full bloom and another about the size of the one I bought.  Do you suppose that the seed waited a few years to germinate?  They're pretty hard to miss as the blooms are bright pink and numerous.  It's a mystery!
 Meconopsis paniculata, one of my favorite foliage plants for winter.  The leaves form a large rosette of golden fur covered leaves that glow when the winter sun hits them.  Kelly's description - "One of  the good foliage plants in the genus with attractive evergreen rosettes of hairy leaves which capture and hold raindrops displaying them as if they were fine bits of prized crystal. In their 2nd or 3rd year, these send up an impressive bloom stem with a bunch of tissue-paper soft yellow poppy flowers. Usually this effort is the end of the plant but it makes a lot of seed.."  I've never had them reseed on their own and haven't tried to harvest seed myself so I get a few each year so that I can enjoy the foliage.

Echiveria that made it through the winter very well and even bloomed.  This puppy is nearly a foot across!

Purple clematis.



Also love this one even though it never blooms at the same time as the 'Joseph's Coat' climbing rose that it scrambles up.

'Nelly Moser' grows up a purple smoke bush - Cotinus coggygria.  I like the purple/pink combination.
 
 
 Another NOID clematis. I could search for the names but am tired and want to leave some fun for you all!
 

 I'm not really a huge fan of this powdery and delicate pink color but this is one of my favorite Camellia japonicas because of it's serrated edges and late bloom time.  Makes me think of the song "A White Sport Coat and a Pink Carnation." 

Really, pink is not my color but the fragrance of 'Cecil Bruner' is pretty swell!  This covers an old lilac bush that also has Kerria japonica and buddlea growing through it.  Kind of a weird thicket at the corner of the garden producing a variety of fragrant flowers through the season. 


Cool foliage on Acer palmatum 'Trompenburg.' A steal at 19.95 at Means Nursery.

Phormium 'Guardsman' from Dragonfly Farms made it through the winter unscathed.   One of my two or three favorite Phormiums!


That damned Rheum palmatum 'Atrosanguineum'  taking over  this bed.  Maybe it just needs to go away. 
 Shady goodness.


I finally put a bench in this part of the garden so it doesn't seem so much like a passageway from the front gate to the back yard.  You can actually sit down and enjoy the garden for a moment.  Yes, I know that the path needs to be rescued from the plants threatening to take over!

Podophyllum 'Spotty Dotty' flowering.


Agapetes came out (of the glass room) blooming this spring!

So much work to do, so little time! 
 
Now stop looking at blogs, get outside and weed.  Preferably in my garden:)
 

30 comments:

  1. Hehe! If only I could go outside now and weed!

    Isn't it nice to be able to spend some time in your own garden? The garden is coming along nicely and I do like your pathway!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was nice to spend time doing a few things. In about three more months, I'll be ready for summer! Thanks. Glad you like the pathway.

      Delete
  2. I would love to sit on that bench in that shady spot, lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're more than welcome to sit on that bench any time! Thanks.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for showing your own garden! I've really been itching to get another look at it, but every time I'm there lately we're always on our way somewhere, or it's dark out. The path looks great, but the edges are getting a little crowded, aren't they? My Christmas cactus cutting is in a pot now too, I hope it roots, it's so unusual.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll have to do a local nursery crawl one of these days and that'll give us time to see each others gardens again. I used to hand weed the path but now I get out the trusty pressure washer and it makes short work of the encroaching plants and gets rid of moss and algae at the same time.

      Delete
  4. I like the Rheum palmatum even if it is taking over that bed. But that is normal since I love huge foliage. I love the path too, and the picture where you can see Tetrapanax and Schefflera.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also like huge foliage. The problem with the Rheum palmatum is that the leaves are so attractive to slugs that they start looking pretty shredded and sad fairly soon.

      Delete
  5. That Clematis/Continus combo is perfection!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the pink petals in your shady goodness photo--it's so perfect you'd think you'd done it on purpose. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pink camelia petals are lovely wen they fall on the Astilboides. Not so lovely in a few days when they turn brown.

      Delete
  7. My favorite part of this post is that you got to spend some time puttering around in your garden! (which is looking beautiful!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It finally got so horrible that I was overwhelmed with all that needed to be done so I just took a breath and started playing. Still needs a lot of work but since deciding that I'm only doing this for fun and that if some beds look atrocious, I'll just live with that and be happy for now I feel much better.

      Delete
  8. "So much work to do, so little time.". Truer words have never been spoken. I've got my annual axe murderer and serial killer get together next week and have garden company arriving from out of state on Friday. It's been crazy trying to get the garden ready. Crazy. So nice to get a little time to just observe and enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a crazy time of year for gardeners, isn't it. I can't imagine having garden company yet. You're a brave woman Sue!

      Delete
  9. Phormium guardsman!?! I LOOOOOOOVE that!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We have had good luck with our clivia. We put ours out in partial shade in the summer. Fertilize them - 'weakly weekly'. We keep ours pot bound and they tend to flower better. We had to split them when they got really pot bound (roots appearing at top) and then next year they didn't bloom well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marta! I was just about to pot these up and now decided to let them stay in their gallons for a while. Also good to know about the weakly weekly. Hadn't heard that expression before but it's a good one!

      Delete
  11. I love a path with plants spilling onto it, and your bench tops it off so nicely, I hope you don't clear too many of the plants away. That purple Clematis is just gorgeous, the blooms look huge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the path with the plants spilling too but the oxalis is not just spilling, it's growing in the cracks. If I don't cut a few, there will be no path left.

      Delete
  12. Peter, all your clematises are wonderful!
    Begonia and clivia are easy to grow outside in summer. My clivia is going for a walk too.
    Have a nice week!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your last line, so true! I really like your many varieties of clematis as well as the plants that have different shapes and coloured foliage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rosemary. Hope you are having a lot of fun in your garden!

      Delete
  14. I think the Clem is 'Blue Light' - it has been flying off the benches.... and whatever you do, leave the Rheum alone! Where else does one find such magnificent foliage! I especially love the reverse of the leaves!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're right! I wouldn't murder the Rheum but by mid summer, the leaves will be as holey as swiss cheese and rather ugly looking. When that happens, I sometimes think of waiting until autumn to dig and give away this precious plant.

      Delete
  15. I was so far behind on reading, commenting on and writing blog posts that our little bit of rain was the perfect excuse to fall into computer world today. Of course a true die-hard gardener would have ignored a few raindrops.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Glad you took advantage of the rain to come by and visit!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.