-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Monday, June 24, 2013

Vashon Island Northwest Perennial Alliance Tour Part 6: The Garden of Anita Halstead & Kelly Robnson

The NPA Open Gardens book called this tour "A Veritable Variety: The Vashon Gardens Tour" and whoever selected these gardens did a terrific job in choosing gardens which were each  so different from one another and all so marvelous!  
 
Alison, my partner in horticultural trespassing,  posted about this garden here. We knew we were in for a special experience at this garden when this was the parking area!  Do you see the face in the clouds?  Quite an impressive security guard!
 
This informal and gorgeous shrubbery provides privacy for a side garden.
 

Are we still in Washington?  Just beyond is this large dracaena in full bloom, a fairly unusual sight in these parts!
 
Approaching the front garden.
 

Phormiums not bothered by the Phormium killing winters but that were chopped way back a few years ago because they had gotten too big. 



At half an acre, this was the smallest garden on the tour but oh my gosh, there are so many great plants and interesting features in this space that it took us as long to enjoy this one as it did to take in the larger gardens!  They say that it's not the size that matters but how one uses it.  That's certainly true in this gorgeous and imaginative garden!
 
So much to love!
 
 Here we are along the paver and gravel labyrinth.

Arriving at the center of the same.


A garden is incomplete without at least one dog and or cat!  This little guy is doing a great job of keeping the sheep in a nice orderly herd.  (Lambs ears edging the circular bed, get it?)

There are several mosaic pieces throughout the garden.  They get so much fan mail here that they need a separate mail box  just for them.  Pretty special I'd say!
 
There is something hidden in every corner of this garden!



The view from the front garden is pretty sweet, too!



Love this!  Finally something to do with all those broken off bottle tops left from baroom brawls! 


I visited this garden a few years ago with friends when it was part of another tour.  We were all quite taken with the generous use of Baby's Tears (Soleirolia soleirolii) in several areas.  It's so very green and happy looking!


Which path to choose?

Gratuitous plant sex image.  The plant in this case is an oriental poppy.


A colorful glazed ceramic pole.
 
 
 Imaginative reuse of all sorts of items can be found in abundance here!

 Behind the house is a delightful dining area.



Further along the garden path.


 
On the porch looking out.  Notice the human look of the emerging bloom spike of the yucca.






You have been warned!



Looking out over the giant chess set. 


On the shady side of the house.



Back around the front we pass the giant phormiums which are preparing to bloom.
 
 Like Alison, I found the cone mulched bed interesting.


After touring the final garden, we did some shopping in town and had a delicious dinner at The Hardware Store, a restaurant located in Vashon's oldest commercial building that had operated as a hardware store for most of its 121 years of existence.  In addition to the fun story, delightful ambience, and art gallery space, they serve great food!

After dinner it was time to catch the ferry home.  You'll notice that the sky, very grey this morning,  is now blue,  the sun shining golden on the madrona branches.  Boarding the ferry, we end another Lassie and Outlaw Adventure.  Thanks for coming along with us on this trip to one of my favorite places!


28 comments:

  1. You always take so many more photos than I do, and I always see things I missed when I check out your posts! I love that. This was a great garden, one of my favorites. And a fun day with you and Tom. Thanks for the great companionship.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's fun to visit gardens with you and see your posts for the same reason! The Vashon Gardens were all exceptional weren't they? It was a great day! Re: the companionship, right back at you, pal!

      Delete
  2. Another fabulous garden, another adventure comes to an end. I have to admit the cordyline and phormium are what really caught my eye here, although that human blooming yucca was pretty bizarre!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh and p.s. LOVE the new header image!

      Delete
    2. The end of another Saturday with Alison! The phormiums (phormia?) were huge and gorgeous! Glad you like the header image!

      Delete
  3. I loved all the gardens and this one seemed especially fun and full of ideas we could put to use. The mosaics and other details add so much personality to the garden.

    Thanks for taking us along on another adventure with Alison!

    Love the new header, it's as if you posed for the illustrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Living on the beach, they may have found some of the treasures in their garden. You're right, this garden was full of personality and fun & there were lots of cool things to find!

      The resemblance is uncanny isn't it? I'm sure I had an outfit just like that at one time.

      Delete
  4. First, I KNOW that is you in the header image. I know it.

    Lots of great stuff in this post! I have this book about making garden mosaics and you may have pushed me over the edge to a project. [If so I will give you full credit (blame) in one of my posts, never fear.] I liked the brick circle too, and garden paths are so magical. I love 'baby tears' but have never seen it in such a large planting-- more ideas! Thanks Peter, I'm inspired.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, it IS I in the header image. I've grown facial hair to try and disguise it but the round shape and short legs give me away every time!

      Oh yes, you should haul out the book and mosaic everything in sight. It's a bit addictive - you'll know you've gone too far when you can't find Max or Mr. O but you have really interesting man and dog mosaic sculptures in your garden.

      This is a garden that really lights a creative spark!

      Delete
  5. Ahhh, I've always wanted to visit Vashon Island...must make a point of it next time I'm up there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, you should visit! It's a great destination. If you'd like, Alison and I can be your tour guides!

      Delete
  6. Great tour. So much to see and it was so beautiful. I bet you and Alison had a great time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We always have a grand time together but the great gardens made this trip even more enjoyable!

      Delete
  7. Your garden tours are the way I settle down at night! Thank you for capturing just the very things I'm sure I would want to remember if I had been able to wander this beautiful place. I'm particularly curious about the colorful "totems" (for lack of a better word). Have you any further description to give of them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoy the tours as they are lots of fun for me! Some of the totems are of found objects and others are made of porcelain with colorful glazes. There is an artist in the area named Leslie Codina who does totems like this and may have made the one in the picture. I did a post with some of her cool work in it a few months ago. http://outlawgarden.blogspot.com/2013/02/northwest-flower-and-garden-show-part.html

      Her website is http://www.lesliecodina.com/

      Delete
  8. Waaahh!! I wanna go! Why you be so far away?? LOVE the mailbox and the baby's tears planting. The collection of broken glass is cool, too, but I"d probably end up with stitches.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to be so far away! Perhaps Horace Greeley is calling you. In fact I hear him now saying, "Go west young woman!" You? stitches? Nah. Glass cuts nice and clean and the wounds heal quite quickly. Don't ask me how I know.

      Delete
  9. Peter,
    nice garden! I love all these decorations: mosaics,vases, arches, heads, statues, stony paths, etc. Lovely. And many plants, especially I love the 'blue bush'.
    Have a nice week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like this one too! The blue bush in the first picture is a Ceanothus. They are evergreen and especially lovely when they bloom! Happy gardening, Nadezda!

      Delete
  10. I can see the face in the clouds! What a lovely, lovely garden. I love those paths, beautiful house and stunning garden. Happy week, Peter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such fun to tour other people's gardens as I always find many things to admire. Happy week to you, Satu!

      Delete
  11. Wow, another garden full of character and love the creative use of hard landscaping and other materials putting individuality to the space.

    Fab banner by the way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're very lucky that so many people are willing to open their gardens to the public. I always learn something and find inspiration from visiting other gardens. This one was chock full of wonderful ideas to borrow!

      Glad you like the banner, I thought it was funny!

      Delete
  12. I love smaller gardens that manage to enchant with their details and diversity rather than merely being impressive by virtue of their size like some larger ones. They also tend to offer a much richer store of ideas to emulate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point C.G. Since I garden in a somewhat small urban space, it is easier to lift ideas from gardens that more closely resemble mine in scale. However, it's wonderful to visit them all!

      Delete
  13. A very special and beautiful garden. Almost too many wonderful features to comment on. Many of these plants are not familiar to me, but the sense of fullness and the mix of textures is deeply appealing. I like the hidden corners and paths. Great tour!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Phormiums do seem to love a maritime climate. The ones on our coast escaped the winter kill we experienced inland. "Charming" is the word that comes to mind for this garden. Sorry to see this adventure coming to an end, but I'm sure you'll come up with more soon.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love so many things about this garden and parts of it remind me of the photo tour Loree did of your garden last year. Do you know if that river rock pathway was cemented in any way? I'm really intrigued by it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.