-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Thursday, June 13, 2013

Vashon Island Part 3; Visiting Kathy's Corner Nursery

Vashon Island is one of my favorite places to visit and luckily, it's not far from where I live.  Today, Alison and I continue our day on the island with a visit to Kathy's Corner Nursery.  You may remember my previous post about this nursery nearly a year ago.  Most of what I would say about the nursery is contained in that post so do check it out.



Kathy's Corner always has a lot of fabulous plants and at this time of year the nursery is  bursting at the seams with glorious color!
 
 
Alison found a beautiful black Siberian Iris within a couple of seconds of walking in the gate!

There is a wonderful article written by Kathy, the owner of this establishment, in the publication Green Profit here.  I've been visiting the island for at least 16 years and have followed the ups and downs Kathy mentions in her article and it's interesting to hear her perspective as a nursery owner. 


What follows is a few of the many wonderful things that grabbed our attention on this trip!

Dianthus barbatus a.k.a. Sweet William.



Primula noverna 'Deep Blue'


Blue and yellow, a classic combination (Calibrachoa and trailing Lobelia) are pretty by themselves.
 
But add a Rhodochiton (Purple Bell Vine) to the mix and it's spectacular!


Double flowered Nasturtium (Tropaeolum) whose name escapes me and I'm too lazy to go outside with a flashlight to find it.

 
Sempervivum.  Ya gotta draw the line somewhere!



Veronica 'Goldwell'  lovely variegated foliage and beautiful flowers!


Love this sign!


Mahonia 'Soft Caress.
 
Zonal geraniums (pelargonium)

 
 I never tire of Eryngiums!


 
 
Some Epiphyllum strutting it's stuff as only they can!


Sneaking a peek into one of the work areas.

Dahlia with gorgeous black foliage.
 
 
 Ostiospermum

Another Dahlia looking very festive!


The fragrance of peonies is so sweet and fresh!

 
 
Lavender anyone?


Shade tolerant plants are displayed in the shade of these gorgeous trees. 




 
While I haven't grown petunias in a while, I still enjoy seeing them, especially the dark purple fragrant ones!  Here is 'Picasso in Pink', a little pinker than 'Pretty Much Picasso'  which was all the rage a few years ago. 
 
 Calibrachoas and petunias come  in such interesting colors.



 
So, here's our cart which includes several Begonia boliviensis  with pink flowers, a relatively new introduction.  Kathy also had  B.boliviensis in white and yellow. 
 
Going inside to pay for our finds we were greeted by these.
 
 
Here's the amazing Kathy Wheaton  freely sharing her  plant wisdom!
 
 This place is huge and we could have easily gotten lost  in all of the great plants on several acres that just keep going and going.  Since we wanted to see all of the gardens on the tour though, we decided to stop and move on.  I can't wait to go back! 
 
 
 
 



26 comments:

  1. That was such a fabulous place and you got some wonderful photos! Love that shot of the Sempervivum, I don't remember seeing that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were thousands of gems on so many tables! We could have spent another hour there and still not seen everything.

      Delete
  2. Wow! Maybe I should move there! I just love that place. I'd like to buy everything in that nursery! That's my absolute favorite of the all stunning nurseries you've shown us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a very floriferous place! You would love living on Vashon Island! Alison and I would be delighted to have another accomplice along with us on our garden expeditions!

      Delete
  3. I wonder what my colleagues would think if I hang that sign where I work? :) Lots of truth to it though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Same as Alison, even though I was there just a week before (I think?) I don't remember the Sempervium. You've got the eye...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are amazing sempervivum. The spider web ones are my favourites! Looks like a really great place. The mahonia 'soft caress' looks really cool. And the black foliage dahlia are a favourite annual!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's nothing quite like a mass of a single kind of semervivum all crowded together like that. Yum. Black foliaged anything makes me happy! Great place, great people, great plants!

      Delete
  6. Hard to focus in a place like that. I speak from experience, having just visited Portland Nursery. Not complaining, mind you. I'll take an embarrassment if riches any day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a collage of foliage and blooms! Focus? I run from plant to plant as something catches my eye and miss a lot in between.

      Delete
  7. Very happy to have discovered a gardener with such a sense of humor. The nursery has a wonderful selection of plants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be a great find, please tell me who it might be. Linniew at Women who Run With Delphiniums is a riot!

      Delete
  8. Loved her letter...she risked it all and it paid off!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? I've printed it to give to another nursery owner as there's some great advice there!

      Delete
  9. Thanks for the spectacular photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're more than welcome Carroll! Thanks for commenting.

      Delete
  10. LOVELY Eryngiums, my favourite!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great series! Kathy must be proud of these lovely flowers and your excellent depictions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy works hard to make it all happen. Everyone in the horticulture business works hard especially these days and I'm so appreciative of all they do. As a plant junkie, these folks are my suppliers!

      Delete
  12. That picture of sempervivums is spectacular, it would be nice to have that in a garden. Mahonia and the dark leaved dahlia were my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I love sempervivums! Mahonia 'Soft Caress' is a wonderful plant that I've enjoyed growing for several years now. Just about anything with dark foliage thrills me!

      Delete
  13. Your opening drawing reminds me of 'Little Shop of Horrors"! LOL Everyone keeps tormenting me with photos of Eryngium alpinum et al. I remembered today to get that pot and others out of the refrigerator where it has been chilling, here's hoping they will sprout. Mahonia 'Soft Caress' is so airy and symmetrical, I would like to get one someday. At least I did succeed with growing seedlings of Primula novena 'Deep Blue', and they are slowly growing and will stay under lights until the fall rains. The Primulas I grew last year at the same time and planted out under tunnels did very well and bloomed this spring.

    Thanks for the nursery tour, I don't make it to many except the few closest to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are magic with seeds so I'll bet you have a great germination rate. Congratulations on your Primula success. You're a very patient gardener.

      I'm not much of a traveler but I love nursery shopping day trips to other towns in Washington and Oregon!

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.