-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Friday, August 2, 2013

Wells Medina Nursery Annual Visit

In the Pacific Northwest, gardeners are spoiled by having so many outstanding nurseries nearby.  A fine example of a long established plant purveyor is Wells Medina Nursery "for plant lovers & those just beginning to flirt with the garden life."  That tag line is brilliant!  The garden life.  Isn't it the truth?  Unfortunately I don't visit this nursery as often as I'd like to.  Stephanie Feeney's words from The Northwest Gardeners'  Resource Directory describe the place well. 

"Wells Medina began life in 1971 as the inspiration of Ned Wells.  It has grown over the years as a family business keen to have its patrons enthuse about the marvelous plant choices found there for every gardener, from quality, well-grown common plants to the great rarities.  Ned has now handed over the reins to his two daughters, Wendy and Lisa, who now energetically own and operate Wells Medina."

Part of the border originally designed by Whitney and Price.


"There is a Northwest orientation here, with conifers, Japanese maples, Rhododendrons, other flowering trees and shrubs, shade trees, an excellent selection of vines, ground covers, unusual and old favorite annuals and perennials, ornamental grasses, and herbs."  I've also noticed an increase in the amount of edible plants offered in the last few years. like this beautiful tomato.


I thought that I'd posted last year about Wells Medina but can't find the post.  Oh well.
 
Schefflera taiwaniana sure looks good in that pot!

 A gorgeous variegated bouganvilla brings happy thoughts of these being hardy and growing to huge proportions in California!



Kniphofia is one of those plants that I greatly admire in other people's gardens but can't seem to make  work in my own. 

Gorgeous buds waiting to erupt!



 
At the front of the nursery on a couple of long tables was a display of  rose flowers with their names.  This is just a small sample of all the varieties in the display.  Interesting but I'd want to see how the rose looks in bud, how it fades, etc. as well.

 
Fortunately, Wells Medina has a huge space devoted to potted  roses so one can see more!
 
"Ink Spots."


I'm kind of in love with "Eyeconic Melon Lemonade" that opens this cool apricot color and fades to a light pink all the while keeping the red splotches on the inside of the petals.  The effect is that of having several colors on a single bush.  I may have to go back and get one of these.  No fragrance but one can't have everything.
 
 
 This beauty, "The Charlatan" is pretty spectacular!  You can always squeeze in another shrub rose, right?
 
This is a huge nursery which requires at least a couple of hours to really see everything. 




Neon pink, chartreuse and electric blue.  Who could ask for anything more?

Not my favorite -  Echinacea 'Piccolino.'  Porr thing doesn't look much like an Echinacea anymore.

Cool smallish hosta with a maple leaf pattern on the leaves.  Alison and I both picked one of these up.


Do you want to drift on over to the shade plant area?


Gratuitous grass shot for Scott.
 
Throughout the nursery are these patio groupings floating on the gravel.  Didn't see anyone sitting on any of them.
 


Alison and I peeked back in the employees only area and saw this interesting idea.  Something to do with all those free wood pallets one sees on craigslist or by the side of the road. 


Each July, Wells Medina holds a container competition.  Every employee is required to put together a combination pot.  The size of the pots is identical and when finished, they are put on display & customers vote for their favorites.  At the time we visited, the pots were works in progress.  I love the use of glass mulch!

The other side of the same pot.


Agonis flexuosa 'After Dark' is an attractive background for orange begonias. 

Explosion of color!

Clever use of a strawberry pot which here suggests the shape of a pineapple & has eucomis (Pineapple lilly) growing out of the top.  Sweet!


Alison threw this together in a few minutes while I was looking at the roses but she was disqualified from the competition because she's not an employee and she didn't pay  attention to the pot size requirement. 


Acer rubrum 'Vainity'  Dig the color of the new growth.
 
 
We both loved Acer conspicuum 'Esk Flamingo' or 'Esk Flamingo' Stripebark Maple.
 
 Wells Medina also has a comfy reference library.  Is that great or what?


 O.K. Alison, it's time to go visit some gardens.  Alison, where'd you go?    So you didn't get to be in the competition, hiding won't help!  Or is this Alison telling us that she's behind the new pot legislation in Washington State?
 
 

18 comments:

  1. You are indeed spoiled up there. The garden life is fun to flirt with. With our weather in Texas this week the relationship is a bit rocky but we'll make up in plenty of time for fall.

    Good job Alison! I like your entry and think they should change the rules. I need to find silver dyckia soon, just love those.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my friend, you've done a lot more than just flirt with the garden life! Not that I'm one to go around spreading rumors, but I heard you've gone all the way! As a slave to the goddess Flora, I totally understand and your secret is safe with me.

      Delete
  2. I have some major plant lust!!! I want that schefflera soo bad!!! I think It calls for a giant pot being added to the garden with a beautiful schefflera! ahhh! and those beautiful pots! wow! Thanks sooo much for the wonderful post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm wondering if that Schefflera would be as hardy in a pot as it is in the ground. The plastic nursery pot was sitting inside the decorative pot as this plant is for sale. I'm thinking that a potted specimen would require additional winter protection. You need a big potted schefflera in your garden!

      Delete
  3. That was a fun day, and some of those employee-made pot combos were really spectacular.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've only been there once, many many years ago. Such a clean and tidy place. Maybe I need to revisit next time I'm up that way....thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They have quite a lot of unusual inventory in addition to the standard stock. A nice selection of sedum & succulents but on this visit no tender succulents, no cacti, aloes, or agaves although I've seen them there in the past.

      Delete
  5. I always appreciate the grass shot...they are NEVER gratuitous ;-) I can see why you chose that Hosta...that patterning on the foliage is exquisite!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always think of you, oh grass king, when I see a nice display of grasses!

      Delete
  6. Wow, a nursery with a reference library! This place really is for serious plant lovers. Speaking of which, I would love to grow that rose 'Charlatan' and the black tomato.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a wonderful nursery! You could grow both of those plants!

      Delete
  7. That is the blackest tomato I've ever seen! Maybe it was hybridized in the nether regions.;-) Maybe someday I can get up to Seattle and visit some nurseries. I've mainly been to some around Burien, and hit a string in Puyallup once. Thanks for the tour, the roses look interesting, and the employee's container gardens. That Dyckia is tempting. Alison is looking impish! She could fit in that pot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried to get Alison to climb into the pot but we weren't sure how we'd get her back out. There are lots of fun nurseries up this way to visit & it would be a fun road trip!

      Delete
  8. The "gardening life" is indeed a nice turn of phrase. That the daughters are taking over the business indicates a family that is doing something right, and it shows. The black tomato could pass as jewelry and the 'Ink Spots' rose as velvet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is nice that the nursery has stayed in the family. I so want to know what one of those black tomatoes tastes like. I'll have to grow one next year as it's so beautiful. 'Ink Spots' is one of those roses that looks good for a brief time but does not age gracefully. The petals of the flower turn brown before falling which is not very pretty.

      Delete
  9. I enjoy your gardening blog. The nursery industry is often handed down, the love of growing plants that is. i am going to try and propigate some of these roses too. I will let you know how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm always happy to hear that folks like looking at my blog! Was your nursery business and/or your love of plants handed down to you? Good luck with the rose propagation!

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.