-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Thursday, December 11, 2014

Vassey Nursery in December

Vassey is a wonderful local, family-owned and run nursery that is on my way home from my Sunday job.  See previous posts here.  The staff here is extremely knowledgeable and friendly and are glad to tell you everything you could want to know about plants and where to get the least expensive greenhouse materials.  (Thank you Steve!)  Their plants are healthy and I've never had a problem with anything I've bought here.

Angels and archangels
May have gathered there,
Cherubim and seraphim
Thronged the air-
But his mother only
In her maiden bliss
Worshipped the Beloved 
With a kiss.

   -Christina Rosetti


I always feel sorry for nekkid statues when it's cold outside and feel a little envious of them  when it's hot.


This is what Vassey does with their huge annual hanging baskets when they're done for the season. The soil and roots are left in place, some holes are drilled in the sides and bottoms of the pots and evergreens are arranged & decorations added.  Festive, fragrant, and long lasting, especially outside.

I can't stop photographing Chief Joseph Lodgepole Pine.  It's so vibrant during the cold months. 

There are some holiday items and all of them along with a lot of gift ware are on sale at 50%  off so if you're in the area, it may just be worth a visit.

I always admire this wide variety of gazing balls!


Urban chickens?

In case you're not lucky and clever enough to grow tomatoes in your greenhouse in the winter like Jean, you can always buy these imitation plants and fake it.

All kinds of fun stuff!

The shiny finials are pretty groovy but I'm not sure where I'd put them. On the other hand, at 50% off,  a place could be found once they made it home.

Some hardy plants have been brought into the unheated greenhouse to protect them from the rain and wind.

 The foliage of Euphorbia 'Ascot Rainbow' is nice year round and especially shines in the winter garden!



Activity in the pond has slowed down as it does in the winter.  In addition to the lone fish center right, you can see some orange & gold color through the spruce tree on the left.

Helleborus niger, the Christmas Rose, is beginning to bloom right on cue.   Spring can't be far away now!

I heard a bird sing 
In the dark of December,
A magical thing
And sweet to remember.

"We are nearer to spring
than we were in September"
I heard a bird sing
In the dark of December.

-Oliver Herford






19 comments:

  1. Hah, fake tomatoes made me smile. That little twig swag with the two white birdies is adorable. Chief Joseph is so bright! My Nisbet's Gold pine is just starting to turn yellow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Chief Joseph is just starting to turn yellow as well.

      Delete
  2. Just for the kicks, I peeked at the previous Vassey post from Summer 2012. What a difference a season makes. Reminiscing aside, there is plenty here I'd love to have (Chief Joseph, still). The hanging baskets are beautiful; what a great winter worthy idea.
    NWFGS is February 11-15. Too soon to mention?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not at all too soon to mention NWFGS! I've already made plans to attend. Maybe we could meet for lunch or to walk around the show.

      Delete
  3. Fake tomatoes? Do they sell a lot of those?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that they were more of a display item. It's funny because Vassey sells a lot of real tomato plants in the summer!

      Delete
  4. Fake tomatoes :)) they have some fun stuff there but I got especially fixated with the first photo, some nice pots they have there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful nursery! Wish I could pop over : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well you could just pop over but it would take a while to get there! Hope you are having a great season!

      Delete
  6. It's that close that Christmas items and gifts are are marked down. Remember when everything went on sale AFTER Christmas? Now there is not much left after the Holiday.

    Chief Joseph is in a grand pot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Remember when Christmas started on the 25th and was celebrated through 12th night. We still try to do that but most people just want to have it all be over on December 26th.

      I seriously considered buying a pot like that at Vassey's 30% off sale but didn't know where I'd put it.

      Delete
  7. I love your photos and poetry! We were at Vassey right after Thanksgiving. it looks like they've sold a bunch of those big hanging basket trees. And we admired that same Chief Joseph.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The hanging basket trees seem to be quite a popular item and they are beautiful but I keep thinking that I should make my own.

      Delete
  8. That pot collection got my attention too.
    You da poetry man!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just about everything brings to mind a poem or song.

      Delete
  9. I've enjoyed my 2 visits to Vassey, it seems like a quality nursery that I'm happy to share my money with. So how is your Chief Joseph looking these days?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joey seems to be bouncing back fairly well. I noticed a few branches on one side were looking pretty bad last spring and there was a growth of some sort in the bark on that side of the tree oozing pitch. This kept growing almost in a ring around the base of the trunk. Finally I did a little exploratory surgery and found a single bug of some sort that seemed to be making a home between the bark and the wood. He was dispatched and I provided Joey a bit of systemic insecticide (not a common practice for me.) Joey hasn't lost any more branches but hasn't put on a lot of new growth either nor has he turned yellow yet.

      Delete
  10. A handsome pine is the chief! Great idea there for christmas trees, too. Is the bottom part a regular tree? I don't think I've got that right

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.