-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Thursday, December 17, 2015

A December Peek Inside the Greenhouse

It's the dark season when the greenhouse gets visited mostly on the weekends.  |There are a few new things going on but mostly this is the season when the plants are taking a bit of a break for the winter and the goal is to keep them alive. This hibiscus has bloomed on and off all summer.  It's tripled in size since I got it last year and continues to be an aphid favorite in the winter.

Okay everybody, try not to die even though the gardener didn't organize you very well by water needs as he promised he would this year.

Lesson learned: Alocasia × amazonica (not pictured) really doesn't enjoy temperatures lower than 60 degrees.  Really.  It might have given up the ghost but it was small and purchased as an an experimental plant.  (Because, clearly, there simply aren't enough plants crammed in here already.)

The big leaves at top right are from a salvia that came from Danger at a plant swap.  Just noticed in looking at this picture that it's beginning to bloom. I thought I smelled something very pleasant in that vicinity when I was out there.  Can't believe I missed the bloom spike.

Cannas 'Stutgart' and intrigue' spending the winter inside.  rhipsalis and spanish moss hang from the branches of the big brugmansia.

Agaves, Aloes, a Furcraea in front, three (need to reduce it to one) jasminum polyanthum in the very back all budded and ready to permeate the January greenhouse with divine fragrance.

Finally got around to planting the paperwhite and "Angels in the Water" narcissus.

This huge (requires two hands to hold it) amaryllis bulb was purchased at Sky Nursery to be sent to my sister in Alaska.  It sat on the kitchen counter too long and started growing.  Worrying that the bloom stalks might snap off in the mail, I planted it.  Sorry.  (Who said there were no benefits of procrastinating?)
 A new plant for me is Schlumbergera aurea variegata 'Cristen'  The colors have changed a bit since I got it, perhaps in preparation for blooming but the bottom leaves were dark green, newer leaves quite gold and the new growth is a beautiful coral  shade.  It is beautiful when not in bloom. Hooray.  Look here for better pictures.
 Christmas break from school will give me some welcome time to finish with the bulb planting and clean up the greenhouse a bit.  Happy gardening all!


15 comments:

  1. I'm looking forward to having Nigel at home for two weeks of vacation time at Christmas. Your greenhouse is looking good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for Christmas Break! Yay for blooming Salvia! Yay for keeping gifts that were supposed to go to others...wait, scratch that last one

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have sent it but the bloom stalks were already up a bit and I didn't want them to break. Plus, it gave me an excuse to order something online that I don't have to pack up and send.

      Delete
  3. I love seeing people's overwintering areas, and yours is especially fun Peter! Organizing by water needs -- who does that? It's more fun to just wander around watering as you notice something needing a bit. (Although thinking about it, you probably have quite a bit of watering to do with 2 zillion plants crammed in there...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's easier to water out there than watering the plants in the house because I can simply use a hose and let the water drain where ever. Wood floors and rugs in the house don't respond well to that sort of thing.

      Delete
  4. What a jungle! How do you ever keep track of all of those plants? And yet you speak of them as good friends. Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's like having another garden bed only in a warmer zone so, just like outside, there are lots of plants crammed in but we know them all.

      Delete
  5. Seeing your greenhouse in winter reminds me just how much work you all have in hauling plants in an out with the seasons. Much as I envy the benefits of gardening in the PNW (the plant selections, your wonderful nurseries, the rain!), I'm very glad I don't have to add hauling to my list of garden tasks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I moved here from my zone three garden, I remember thinking that there were so many plants that are hardy here that I'd never haul plants inside for the winter again. A wiser gardener might simply be content with the plethora of plants that are totally hardy in the ground in zone eight. Hauling plants in for the winter isn't really necessary.

      Delete
  6. The cacti in the red tea cup is just adorable, and I always drool over the tentacle planters. What an oasis you got there. I'll get a 4-day weekend for Christmas and I'm really looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. An oasis is right - really amazing! I can see how you might overlook a bloom or two. You have my utmost admiration, I'm already sick of watering my overwintering ferns in the basement!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's easier with a greenhouse because the watering can all be done with a hose and it doesn't matter if the concrete floor gets wet.

      Delete
  8. What a treat to have a greenhouse so full of goodies you can "miss something" and find it blooming in a photo :)
    A friend has killed Alocasia × amazonica at least four times already so I suspect this is only the beginning for you!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.