-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Tuesday, December 22, 2015

A Different Poinsettia Challenge

Blogging Pal Loree has invited everyone to participate in her poinsettia challenge this month.  Today I offer a slightly different poinsettia challenge.  I dare you to like these!  (It's okay if you do.)  When Loree posted a picture of a purple poinsettia, I was intrigued and had to visit Target to see for myself this wonder.

These look better in pictures than they do in person where they appear to be an unfortunate tie dye accident.

A large craft store is just across the parking lot so let's see what they have to offer. This one isn't so bad except that it's HUGE!  Four feet tall and almost two feet across.

And if you want to make an arrangement, it has some friends that you could use. 

Traditional red bracts with hot pink flowers and glitter.  Still pretty tame. 

Pinks with a bit more magic sparkle.

White  and gold - not so bad really in the right context.

Should you be more of a silver fan...

A bit more glitter, more jagged edges, and spiral anthers, stamens or something.

Burlap and glitter. Some things are not meant to be together.


No, just no!

The next three images show  new varieties which I'm calling the 'Viva Las Vegas' strain. 

Midas has been stocking the shelves again!




Of course, context is everything so here we have an example of how best to display one's turquoise poinsettias.

In all honesty, I've nothing against silk poinsettias as they require no care and do well in the drafty entry of our old house where real ones soon give up the ghost. However, some of these are not to my taste.  How did you do on the challenge?  Find any that you like?

10 comments:

  1. We used to call that 'gilding the lily' --real poinsettias need no decoration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yikes. The weird thing is, if any of those last ones (starting with the leopard print) were available as the natural colorings of live plants, we'd be all over them. In the year 2021: Did you see the new Euphorbia pulcherrima 'Silver Sequin'? It's amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I LOVE the leopard-print one, and that sort of bronzey one at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, what a lovely challenge! When I have seen the first one I thought (being a fan of all lilacs, purples and violets) your examples are not bad at all... but, well, the leopard-print is definitely not my Christmas flower.
    Silk flowers can be pretty and if glitter must be glued to flowers, it's better to use those. Even though I love glitter, I hate seeing it glued to real flowers.
    Thanking you for the fun post and all the beautiful ones during the year, I wish you and yours a very merry Christmas and a happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is really all about the context. I'd like to think that any of the varieties above could look nice in the right setting. Finding said setting for burlap and glitter... now that is a challenge. How about the manger?

    ReplyDelete
  6. With this context, perhaps it's easier to understand how poinsettias got a bad rep...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whatever suits your fancy. I'm full up around here, and since like you, the real ones die in my house, I am poinsettialess.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, I guess there is something here for everyone...(except me)...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Not seeing much here to my liking. But it was a fun post! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love most natural poinsettia, Peter.
    Merry Christmas to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.