-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Wednesday Vignette

Walking to and from my church job on Sunday, I pass the back of a garden that intrigues me because of the many interesting and mature plants.  The place has a bit of a natural feel to it and at one point in the last seventeen years, had largish compost piles on this back side of the garden.  The house, a smallish Victorian with faded paint, has much more stained glass than would have been original to a dwelling of this size.  Much of the glass appears to be from the same time period as the house and may have been collected and installed by some owner of the place or constructed to look old. This is a dwelling and garden that have been well loved, perhaps by the same loving owners, for many years.

 During the spring, large drifts of a naturalized species tulip dance beneath these bushes; in the summer, the roses in the hedgerow are lovely.  In the winter, a strong backbone of evergreens provides a perfect backdrop for these brightly colored rose hips making a pretty holiday greeting.
One day, I'll leave a note on the door  or perhaps knock to see if I can find out more about the history of this house and garden.  For now, the mystery continues.

12 comments:

  1. Write that note tonight and leave it tomorrow! The history of older gardens is often so fascinating, and you may make another gardener friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It would be easiest if you see the owner one of these days and strike up a conversation... though more likely in Spring time; you have not only gardening in common but also stained glass!

    ReplyDelete
  3. More photos of this one, please! You have piqued our interest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now we are all fascinated, so you must find out more. See what you've gotten yourself into?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, you're teasing us! Do please meet the owner(s) and do a tour. This is my favorite type of garden--cottage-style, down-to-earth, and loved. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you do find out and share it with us!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maybe a stop by on a Sunday afternoon? Then a note if no one answers? I would suspect a gardener who is scaling back, and I'd like to think a visitor who can see the history and love that went into the garden would be a very welcome visitor, even if it takes a little effort.
    -yes you did get yourself into something!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those rose hips are great. They remind me of old-fashioned Christmas lights.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can't wait to hear what you find out! How I'd love to stumble on a garden ike this. I've enjoyed coming across a few "hips" on some late autumn walks in nature preserves around us.....

    ReplyDelete
  10. You all have given me the courage to knock on the door. I've often thought that if I saw someone working in the garden, I'd strike up a conversation but in the seventeen years I've been parking in the lot across the street, there's been no one out there on Sunday. Knocking seems like a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Really like the rose hips. I don't get many hips and they are almost eaten before winter.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.