-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Friday, June 24, 2016

Favorite Plants Monthly Round Up and the Winners of the Drawing

On the last Friday of each month, Loree at Danger Garden hosts the Favorite Plant Round Up to share plants that have been particularly eye catching in our gardens each month.  In June there are so many but I'll share a couple, one which you're probably tired about seeing here and the other that came to me on the last day of school.

The first is Tropaeolum speciosum which has lasted longer in my garden this year than ever before and I'm truly grateful.  The latest development is that the vine continues to grow and produce stunning flowers but as the old blooms fade, waxy purple calyxes add another color as green seed pods form and turn blue.  Tropaeolum speciosum is a riot of color at this time with orange, purple, and blue all playing together.





When my Trachycarpus trunks become large enough, I hope this plant will be happy growing up them!

My other favorite plant this month came from a student on the last day of school.  My kids' families are so thoughtful!


You may recall this post from June sixth when I announced a give away to celebrate my four year blogaversary (June 27)  For some reason, I said that the winners, randomly drawn from a hat from those who left a comment on that post,  would be announced today.

It was time to gather the troops together to help with the drawing.

Chocolate, the lovable couch potato, just wanted to cuddle so there had to be a time out for that.

Rigby, always up for an adventure, was happy to play but was not at all happy about posing inside the hat, so this'll have to do.

Sarah Sue, the hyperactive goof was bouncing all over the place as always.  While the dogs are always supportive, their lack of opposable thumbs means that they're not much help when it comes to this sort of thing.

The glass top hat came up from the basement to act as a receptacle but needed something more.

So I threw this glass thing I made on top.  A bit more festive. 

The names were scribbled on card stock and thrown in.

A disinterested Tom selected five names at random (the receptacle was shaken after each name was drawn.)  and the results were confirmed by the accounting firm of Tom Oswald, CPA.


The winners are Denise, Shirley, Plant Postings, Devil Garden, and Alan.  If you'll be so kind as to email me (plantobssession at gmail dot com)  your names and addresses, I'll get these boxed and in the mail to you.  Thanks everyone for playing and congratulations to the winners.
Happy weekend everyone!

17 comments:

  1. Congrats to the winners! And thanks for posting the adorable doggie pics! I'd drool over the plant, but I've sworn off doing that for this year, so I'll just say, those blue seed pods are pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay, I won and I love it! Such a cool gift and perfect color.

    Thank you Peter! Enjoyed the festive top hat and adorable helpers too.


    ReplyDelete
  3. Your dogs are adorable! And the colours of the tropaleum are just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That vine is spectacular! The colors are so vivid. Happy summer sleeping in! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so excited to win! How fun your entire post was, and your dogs are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. this Denise? Get out! Thank you, Peter! That fancy nasturtium is out of control gorgeous. I bet you could make T. polyphyllum do your bidding too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The dogs are adorable, but their names are even better! I had forgotten all about the drawing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The giveaway was really sweet and I can't believe I missed it. But the charmer, besides your 3 furballs, was the tropolaeum. I think I have a spot outside my condo that needs needs needs it. Where can I get seed or plant or where did you get yours? That is a wonder.

    SilverLake Sue

    ReplyDelete
  9. That Tropaeolum is wonderful. I am envious that you can grow it.
    Sweet doggies!
    Congrats to the lucky winners.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That Tropaeolum was glorious with just its flowers but the blue berries put it over the top. The pups contributed their star power to the drawing. Congrats to the winners!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Trachycarpus is an awesome plant Peter. Your dogs are so cute!
    Congrats to all winners!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Blogaversary! Your pups are so adorable.

    Congrats to the lucky winners!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is one crazy beautiful plant/vine...rare to see blues like that in nature. Fun post !

    ReplyDelete
  14. Okay - while it would have been preferable to win myself I do love each of those people who won so I suppose that's a good thing. Congrats to you all!

    Your doggies make my heart hurt they're so damn cute. Oh and the Tropaeolum speciosum too, it's hot!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congrats, Peter, on your 4th anniversary and to all the winners of this fun drawing. Looking forward to the next 4 years.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your Tropaeolum is a bomb! But, your troops made my heart melt!
    Congratulations to all the lucky winners!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.