-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Friday, June 10, 2016

Watson's in June

Fresh strawberries purchased directly from the grower are one of my favorite June treats.  For those of you (are there any of you?) who have only eaten those huge tough strawberry-like  things offered in supermarkets year round, real, fresh-picked strawberries are an entirely different experience. Think of the difference between a rubbery, flavorless, mid-winter supermarket tomato and one picked from your garden.   Anyway, there are several growers in the valley in which Watson's nursery is located. Since I had to get some berries anyway, might as well visit Watson's as well, right?   Exciting news, on the way from the strawberry place to Watson's, I saw a sign for a new nursery.  Nothing big or fancy, just a start-up with what appeared from the road to be a nice selection of potted roses, and perennials.  They were closed but I hope to check them out on my next strawberry run. It's so exciting to see a new nursery pop up these days.  I'm old enough to remember when Watson's first opened it's much smaller retail area.  I bought my first Fuchsia basket in this state from Watson's in 1984.


Now Watson's operates in a series of  Belgian-built, state of the art steel and glass houses.

See many previous visits here. Watson's is a large full-service nursery with a staff of 50 which explains how things always look so tidy and clean.  There are always several folks around primping the plants, deadheading, etc.

Stachys ‘Bello Grigio’  is everywhere now.  From my experience, it abhors shade and good moist soil, preferring sun, poor soil, and neglect in the hell strip.

Gratuitous plant sex scenes. 


If you're looking for a rusty metal horse, Watson's has you covered!

Aluminum garbage can planters.


Hosta 'Electrocution'  Hmmm. 

Less lethal friends. 



You can prepare for the fourth of July


or your vacation at the beach. 

Upon what kind of alien beach did these shiny beauties wash?  I kind of dig them.

This planter creature is pretty cool, too. 

Want a garden room but lack a green thumb?  All it takes is a little green in your wallet and a bunch of silk and voila -

Can't go wrong with blue and yellow!

There's always color to be had here!  

A quiet moment at the cafe.

I forgot the name of this seriously tempting hydrangea with burgundy foliage and red, yes red, flowers.

So, what made it into the cart?  

A couple more New Guinea impatiens, orange tuberous begonias for a turquoise pot, and Tagetes 'Lemon Gem' which I grow for the awesome fragrance of the foliage.

May your weekend be as bright and cheerful as the colors of these flowers!  Sorticulture takes place in Everett this weekend and I hope to attend for the first time.  By all accounts, it's incredible!  Will I see you there?

13 comments:

  1. Same scenario here with Strawberries. Mass produced ones in Spain are juicy but tasteless, whilst small and less perfect looking ones are just so sweet. Have a fab weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'll have to tell us all about Sorticulture. I've been wanting to go for years, but it will have to wait till the future. Maybe next year. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm..farm fresh berries are the BEST!

    This place looks great - much like Mulbak's and Sky Nurseries in Seattle. What's up with giganto nursery/home stores up there? You guys have it made!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm also thinking Sky Nursery when seeing your pictures. I can spend hours in such a plant and knick-knack heaven. I have lamb-ears on the parking strip: not much to look at in winter, but they always come back soft and silvery, and ask for so little in return. The octopus-planter: YUM! I went to Sorticulture last year: I loved it: a spectacular setting in the park. You'll have a wonderful time! (plan on using the Park-and-Ride).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fresh local fruit is the best plus you get a drive in the country to stop at great nurseries like Watson's. Our best local strawberries don't make it to the stores because they sell out at the farm.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another well-stocked nursery with beautiful displays - you folks in the PNW have it tough. Enjoy your weekend, Peter!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Peter!
    ‘Bello Grigio’ survived last winter in my garden. It grows in part shade and relatively poor soil.
    ... I got dizzy looking at the Sorticulture vendors... I'm not sure I'm brave enough to go there -too many temptations!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, great place! The colors and the chairs are eye-popping. Sounds like you have some great memories of shopping there over the years.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Watson's is always a visual treat.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had to do a double take -- I thought you wrote "pimping" the plants instead of "primping." I'm glad you've figured out the secret to that stachys. I haven't succumbed this year and just walk briskly by when I see it at nurseries. Full sun, poor soil here is certain death. My next attempt would be a container....if I found the stachys really cheap.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm not ready for usung trash cans as planters. Nope.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.