-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Friday, March 2, 2018

A Little Summer Sunshine from Wincdliff

On a chilly late winter day, the memory of a warm July day spent in the garden of a master can be just the thing to take the edge off the cold.  Of course, a nice mug of hot chocolate laced with whipped-cream flavored vodka and/or peppermint Schnapps has a similar effect but I digress.  Here with few words is some visual warmth.

Helleborus hercegovinus has okay flowers but spectacular foliage.  

Trevesia aff. palmata.  Mine, still in a pot,  got thrown inside the greenhouse during our recent cold snap.



Can one ever see too much of Dan Hinkley's fabulous gardens?

Shall we continue?

Large Kniphofia (northiae?)

Rhodocoma capensis


Maianthemum in fruit.




Sinopanax formosanus, the mother of mine which sailed through our recent freeze outdoors in a pot.  Of course, the pot was right next to the greenhouse.


Lobelia tupa/ Yucca rostrata or lineariolia

Oh, that view...



One of my favorite features is this staircase designed by Robert Jones.





Seattle Skyline viewed through palm fronds.





I always admire (have lust in my heart for)  the deeply incised leaves of this Schefflera delavayi.


Fabulous Agave.  




Who doesn't admire the sexy peeling bark of Arctostaphylos?



Thank you Dan and Robert for creating such outstanding gardens, opening them to the public, and allowing us to share images.  

If you need a dose of plant shopping to chase away the winter blues, The Northwest Horticultural Society Spring Plant Sale is tomorrow and Heronswood is having a Hellebores and More sale.  Next weekend is the Northwest Perennial Alliance March Mania Plant Sale at the Bellevue Botanical Garden.

17 comments:

  1. Thanks. Just what I needed to warm up this morning.... since I couldn't lace the coffee yet ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I won't even let myself think about those wonderful plant sales. It is enough just to enjoy that incredible garden.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Spectacular views, it's almost too much to take in. How come I never see Helleborus hercegovinus in nurseries? I love the foliage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry about your earlier comments. I saw them in my email but for some reason, Blogger thought they were spam. I've rectified that and they should all apper where they belong now. The only places I've seen Helleborus hercegovinus is from Windcliff Plants at plant sales and at a specialty Hellebore mail order place back east. The foliage is spectacular but herbaceous. Right now, mine are just popping out of the ground.

      Delete
  4. Thank you, Peter for these sunny pictures!
    One of them, with Lobelia tupa, reminded me to order more plant supports. Those supports are great! I have them made from re-bars.
    I keep thinking what I do wrong with Dierama. It bloomed only once in my garden during 5-6 years. It looks fabulous in Windcliff!
    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now that I've renewed my NPA membership this year I'm looking forward to seeing this garden again. I need more Dierama in my garden, I love all those huge flowering clumps! Thanks for sharing your photos from your visit last summer, it was very welcome today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well that was a welcome tonic, even without the added alcohol. It could almost be tropical and certainly beats looking out at snow..
    Enjoy the retail therapy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, such spectacular textures with all that different foliage! Lots of unusual plants I don't see very often here! Thanks for the tour. Hmmm, whipped cream flavored vodka... I'm going to have to go find that!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fabulous property. I love everything, from the view, to the pond, to the plants. Lucky you to live close enough to visit!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'll never forget visiting Windcliff several years back when photos were verboten. I am determined to return again with camera in tow ! Thanks for posting on this dreary cold winter day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Brought warmth to my soul and a couple of chuckles! Love, love the peeling bark of the Arctostaphylos.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm feeling warmer already. That Rhodocoma is very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for reigniting my Sinopanax formosanus lust! And hopes that I will get to visit this garden someday. Hey...are they open this summer?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are open by appointment but usually do some open days/plant sales listed in the NPA open gardens book. Their website has an events page and those opens are listed there. http://danieljhinkley.com/event/npa-garden-open-days-at-windcliff/all/
      Maybe it's time for another garden bloggers' kitsap tour?

      Delete
  13. Amazing garden my friend!
    thank you for the virtual visit ,really liked the lashing greenery and clear sky .
    your fun with signs is awesome:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for the warm-up and eye candy. I think I'm overdue for another Kitsap adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fabulous! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.